How Long Do Prettau Zirconia Bridges Last?
Many different dental materials have been developed over the years. Today, one of the strongest, most durable materials is Prettau® Zirconia. This high-quality zirconia is biocompatible, non-porous, and can be used to fabricate a variety of restorations, including bridges. The team at Astoria Dental Group in Queens, NY, discusses how long Prettau Zirconia bridges last and offers tips for keeping your restoration in optimal condition.
Prettau Zirconia: An Overview
Prettau Zirconia has a base of zirconia sand and is partially stabilized with yttrium. This material is durable, yet it also possesses a high tensile strength, which gives it flexibility. For this reason, Prettau Zirconia is commonly recommended for patients who are prone to bruxism, as these restorations are less likely to become chipped or damaged. They also reduce the risk of abrasion on adjacent teeth.
Highly translucent, Prettau Zirconia mimics natural tooth enamel for a lifelike appearance. It can be used to craft:
- Dental crowns
- Inlays and onlays
- Bridges (up to a full dental arch with implants)
Many of our patients are good candidates for the Prettau Zirconia implant-supported bridge. This fixed restoration is supported by dental implants, which are placed into the jaw during an oral surgery procedure. The treatment option is intended for individuals needing full-arch teeth replacement.
An Impressive Rate of Success
Due to their undeniable strength and durability, Prettau Zirconia bridges can last for many years as long as they are cared for properly. In fact, according to one study in the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, these restorations have a 99 percent success rate. In this particular study, of 2,039 restorations, only nine needed to be replaced in the first five years. In general, Prettau Zirconia bridges can last for decades – or even a lifetime – with proper maintenance.
Caring for Your Prettau Zirconia Bridge
To maximize the lifespan of your Prettau Zirconia bridge, proper care and maintenance is required. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep your restoration in tip-top condition:
- Brush at least twice a day: In addition to brushing the restoration and any natural teeth, individuals should brush the tongue and cheeks to reduce oral bacteria and odors.
- Floss your implants daily: Dental implants are impervious to decay, but they are still vulnerable to gum disease. Floss around your implants thoroughly once a day. Ask the team at our Long Island office about floss threaders, interproximal brushes, and other tools that can help you clean your implants effectively.
- Consider purchasing a waterpik: While not a substitute for flossing, waterpiks can help remove food particles and debris from underneath your bridge.
- Use an antibacterial mouthwash: When combined with proper brushing and flossing, antibacterial rinses can help reduce bacteria and microbes.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Prettau Zirconia implant-supported bridges can only be removed by your dentist. In addition to proper at-home care, be sure you attend routine exams and cleanings to preserve your restoration and your oral health.
Learn More about Prettau Zirconia Bridges
If you are exploring teeth replacement options, consider a Prettau Zirconia restoration. To learn more, or to schedule a visit at our NYC practice, contact us online or call us at (718) 278-1123.