Gum Reshaping Treatment
When you're unhappy with your smile, it shows. If a “gummy” smile is keeping you from smiling, you may benefit from laser gum contouring. At the Manhattan cosmetic dentistry practice of Drs. Clifford Degel and Carmen Every-Degel, we use laser gum contouring as a cosmetic treatment to improve the look of your smile by safely reshaping the gums. Read on to learn more about laser gum contouring and what it can do for you.
What Is Laser Gum Contouring?
Laser gum contouring is a treatment designed to reshape the gum line when excess gum tissue makes the smile look too “gummy.” Laser gum contouring can make the teeth look more proportionate and even. Dental lasers are favored in gum contouring as they offer superior results over scalpels with less pain, more precision, and a faster recovery time.
The laser gum contouring procedure begins by applying a numbing anesthetic to the gums. Once the gums are numb, a dental laser is used to remove excess gum tissue and re-shape the gum line. The laser is so gentle, many find the procedure to be painless; at the very least, it results in minimal discomfort. Tylenol or ibuprofen are often sufficient to relieve any pain following laser gum contouring treatment. However, before taking any pain reliever, be sure to check with your doctor. A full recovery can be expected within a couple of weeks or less. Some people are fully recovered within a few days.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Gum Contouring?
Prime candidates for laser gum contouring are in good general health and have healthy teeth and gums. Candidates for laser gum re-shaping should have one or more of the following conditions:
- A smile that appears “gummy”: A “gummy” smile refers to a smile with excessive amounts of gum tissue showing. Gummy smiles can make teeth look too small and can cause embarrassment or make you feel insecure about your smile. If you have a gummy smile, you may be a candidate for gum contouring.
- Teeth appear too small due to gums: When excessive gum tissue covers the teeth, it can make the teeth look too small. Gum contouring can remove the extra gum tissue to expose the teeth and make them look more proportional.
- Uneven gums: The gums can make the teeth appear uneven. For those with uneven gums, laser gum contouring can be used to improve the gum line and completely change the look of their smiles.
- Cosmetic reasons: Laser gum contouring can be used to improve the overall aesthetics of your smile. The correction of the gum line to produce an even appearance can transform your smile.
- Periodontal procedures: Some people are candidates for laser gum contouring when needed in conjunction with periodontal procedures like crown fitting or adjusting crown length. For our patients in Queens, porcelain veneers are another complementary treatment. Laser gum contouring may also be used to reduce pockets that have formed as a result of gum disease.
Schedule an Appointment
See if laser gum contouring is right for you. Schedule an appointment today!