Improve Your Health and Appearance with Zirconia Dental Implants
If you suffer from missing teeth, dental implants offer the very best option for restoring your smile. Traditional dental implants are titanium posts that are embedded in the jawbone and provide support to a crown, bridge, or denture. This replaces the entire structure of the tooth, from root to crown. While implants made from titanium are considered safe and biocompatible, some patients with allergies or sensitivities, or those who simply do not want to put metal in their bodies, are interested in an alternative. That is why we are proud to offer zirconia dental implants at our Queens dental practice. If you are missing teeth and would like to learn more about ceramic zirconia implants, please contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Clifford Degel.
Benefits of Zirconia Dental Implants
Dental implants made from ceramic zirconia contain no metal. Compared to traditional titanium implants, zirconia posts offer several benefits:
- Aesthetics - Zirconia implants are completely white in color. If a patient has thinning gums or is susceptible to gum recession, traditional titanium implants may cause the appearance of gray gums or visible metal at the margin of the restoration.
- Corrosion resistance - Zirconia is a highly biocompatible material that is resistant towards chemical corrosion. Metal can be corrosive, especially if another metal is nearby, like an amalgam filling or restoration. Additionally, fluorinated water can cause metal corrosion to be even more active.
- Non-conductivity - Zirconia does not conduct electricity, which lessens bacterial growth and leads to a healthier mouth.
- Holistic dentistry - For patients who adhere to holistic health principles, zirconia does not interfere with energy movement throughout the body.
- Strength and durability - Zirconia is well known for its flexural and tensile strength and is tested to withstand pressures and bite forces associated with chewing and speaking.
- One-piece design - Traditional dental implants are connected to an abutment which is attached to a crown, bridge, or denture. The connection between the implant and the abutment creates an ideal environment for bacteria to proliferate. Ceramic zirconia implants' one-piece design minimizes bacterial growth to protect your gum health.
Additionally, zirconia dental implants still offer all the same benefits of traditional dental implants. The comfort and stability of implant-supported restorations are unmatched by any traditional restorative measure. When tooth loss occurs, the jawbone stops receiving stimulation from the natural tooth's roots, which can lead to bone loss. A dental implant, made from zirconia or titanium, replaces the tooth's roots and supplies the jawbone with stimulation, which protects your jaw from further atrophy.
Contact Astoria Dental Group
Whether you have a metal sensitivity, prefer not to put metal in your body, or would simply prefer to have a zirconia dental implant placed as part of your restorative treatment, Dr. Degel can help to return function and aesthetics to your smile. He has been placing dental implants for patients at Astoria Dental Group since 1990 and is a member of several cosmetic and implant dentistry associations. Please contact us to schedule a consultation at our office.