Protect Damaged Teeth with Lifelike Zirconia Crowns
With so many materials available for dental crowns, it can be difficult to know which is best suited to your needs. Among these many options, Dr. Clifford Degel and Dr. Carmen Every-Degel are proud to offer zirconia crowns at their Queens dental practice. This remarkable material mimics the appearance of a natural tooth, while offering substantial durability and strength over other alternatives. Contact us today to learn if zirconia crowns are right for your oral health needs.
Why the Material Matters
Dental crowns can play an important role in your oral health. After a tooth damaged by decay or trauma has been repaired, a crown can be securely placed on top to restore structure and protect it from further harm.
With a white, translucent appearance and a smooth, hard texture, zirconia combines the strength of metal alloys with the natural look of porcelain.
Your teeth are put under considerable pressure from biting and chewing. Your crown must be strong and durable enough to withstand these pressures. Consequently, the material of your crown can greatly impact its long-term success.
IMPLANT & SMILE MAKEOVERS Results
Benefits of Zirconia
Among the most popular materials available for dental crowns are metal, ceramic, and porcelain. While each of these materials offer certain benefits, zirconia crowns can provide numerous advantages over other options, including:
- Durability: Made from a non-porous structure, zirconia is up to 200 percent stronger than porcelain. As a result, it can withstand the daily pressure of chewing and biting. Zirconia is also corrosion resistant, withstanding the effects of metal fillings or implants in nearby teeth. With proper care, zirconia can last more than a decade without cracking or chipping.
- Natural appearance: While metal crowns are often stronger than porcelain options, many patients are dissatisfied with how they stand out. With a white, translucent appearance and a smooth, hard texture, zirconia combines the strength of metal alloys with the natural look of porcelain. Few people can distinguish between natural teeth and zirconia crowns.
- Biocompatibility: With a long history as a successful material in medical implants and artificial limbs, zirconia is highly biocompatible with the human body. The risk of allergy or rejection is therefore very low.
- Non-conductivity: Unlike its metal alternatives, zirconia does not conduct electricity or heat. As a result, zirconia crowns are much less likely to develop bacterial growth, trigger chemical reactions, or migrate to other areas of the body. Overall, zirconia can help maintain a healthy mouth.
- Conservative treatment: Zirconia crowns take up minimal space in the tooth, and are made to fit in a very small space. This can leave more of your original tooth intact, retaining more of its structure than metal or porcelain crowns.
Prettau® Zirconia Dental Crowns
Our practice offers Prettau® zirconia dental restorations, which are made of safe, biocompatible materials. They have a smooth exterior, which prevents abrasion to the surrounding teeth and gum tissue. Our technicians can seamlessly integrate Prettau® zirconia dental crowns into your smile, using custom coloring techniques.
Contact Us Today
At Astoria Dental Group, we strive to provide outstanding dental care, and always customize our care to fit your personal, oral health needs. With zirconia crowns, you can enjoy a natural-looking, attractive smile for many years to come. Contact us today to learn if zirconia crowns are the right option to help protect and support your teeth.