Treatment for Overlapping Teeth
Thanks to the many advances in modern dentistry, patients can undergo effective treatment to address dental flaws. Overlapping teeth is one condition that can detract from the appearance of the smile.
At Astoria Dental Group, Dr. Clifford Degel and Dr. Carmen Every-Degel offer treatment for overlapping teeth. Read on to find out how we can improve the appearance of your smile with cosmetic dentistry, and then contact our Queens, NY dental office to schedule your treatment consultation.
Problems Caused by Overlapping Teeth
Overlapping teeth can result in oral aesthetic, functional, and health problems, including:
- Misaligned teeth can adversely affect proper biting and chewing of food.
- Malocclusion can lead to pain and dysfunction in the temporomandibular, or jaw, joint.
- Teeth that are not properly aligned can sometimes affect speech. This can cause difficulties in communicating and loss of self-esteem.
- Teeth that are crowded and overlapped can make effective oral hygiene, like flossing and brushing, difficult. The inability to remove plaque from around the teeth increases the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
How Can Overlapping Teeth Be Corrected?
The doctors at Astoria Dental Group can treat crowded and overlapping teeth. Since no single treatment option is right for everyone, we will carefully evaluate each patient before recommending treatment.
- Conventional Orthodontic Therapy: This is an effective way to correct overlapping teeth, but it has its downside. It is expensive, can take two or more years to complete, and requires frequent adjustment appointments. In addition, patients must wear metal braces with brackets and wires.
- Invisalign®:Patients wear clear, custom made, nearly invisible aligners over their teeth to gradually straighten them. The aligners are comfortable, discreet, and removable. Dr. Carmen Every-Degel is one of the country's most experienced Invisalign® Certified Dentists.
- Porcelain Veneers: These thin ceramic shells are bonded directly to the front of a tooth that is slightly misaligned. They are custom-made to blend with the surrounding teeth and create an attractive, bright smile.
- Dental Bonding: This technique can sometimes be used in lieu of a porcelain veneer to make a minor esthetic correction to a tooth or teeth. It takes only one appointment and is the most affordable way to create a more attractive smile. It involves the bonding of tooth-colored composite resin material to a tooth with an imperfection or slight misalignment to restore it to its natural beauty.
- Zirconia Crowns: A misaligned, stained, chipped, or weakened tooth may sometimes be corrected by the placement of a tooth-colored crown. Zirconia looks almost identical to a natural tooth and is exceedingly strong.
Get in Touch with Astoria Dental
Patients that are concerned about crowded or overlapping teeth are encouraged to contact us. To schedule a consultation, contact us today.