Can Invisalign® Correct Gapped Teeth?
There are many reasons why someone may have diastema, or a gap between the teeth. For some patients, a gap between the teeth is a significant cosmetic concern. If you wish to address gaps or spacing between your teeth, the solution may be easier than you think.
Advances in dentistry have brought us Invisalign®, which is an inconspicuous and effective alternative to traditional metal braces. At Astoria Dental in Queens, NY, Dr. Carmen Every-Degel offers Invisalign for gapped teeth, for those who wish to straighten their teeth discreetly.
Why Does Diastema Occur?
Many patients are genetically predisposed to diastema. However, aside from being heredity, there are other contributing factors as well, including:
- Small Teeth and Larger Jaw: The most common cause of diastema is teeth that are too small for the jawbone.
- Enlarged Frenum: In the oral cavity, a frenum is a piece of tissue that connects the lips to the gums. We have multiple labial frenum, most noticeably between the two front teeth on the upper and lower arches. If this tissue is enlarged or oversized, it can force teeth apart, creating a gap in your teeth.
- Thumb Sucking: Children who develop a thumb-sucking habit can gradually push their teeth forward, which can create spaces or gaps.
- Tongue Thrust: When swallowing, the tongue should press against the palate. However, individuals who have tongue thrust put repeated pressure against the back of the teeth, which can cause them to splay out.
- Missing Teeth: Some people are born with congenitally missing teeth, which will leave a space between the teeth.
- Gum Disease: Patients who suffer from moderate to advanced periodontal disease may experience bone loss. When this happens, the teeth can shift, sometimes causing gaps.
Invisalign: A Brief Overview
The Invisalign system consists of a series of clear, custom aligner trays. Typically, each tray is worn for approximately two weeks before changing it out for the next one.
Over the course of about nine to 15 months, the teeth are gradually straightened with steady, gentle pressure. Best of all, Invisalign is virtually undetectable, so most people will not even realize you are receiving orthodontic treatment.
Treating Gapped Teeth with Invisalign
Fortunately, Invisalign is incredibly effective for closing gaps or spaces between teeth. With careful and strategic planning, Dr. Every-Degel will move the teeth closer together, and move the roots into more favorable positions as well. This will help make sure the gap does not reoccur after treatment.
Once your Invisalign treatment is complete, you will require a retainer to maintain your progress and keep your smile looking beautiful. You may be able to simply wear the last set of aligners at night to achieve this.
If desired, we can also bond a permanent retainer on the back of your teeth. This way, you will not have to worry about wearing a retainer at night. Dr. Every-Degel can discuss which option will work best in your situation.
Learn More about Invisalign
To find out more about how Invisalign can eliminate the gaps between your teeth, schedule a consultation with Dr. Every-Degel. She can create a custom treatment plan that will address your unique aesthetic needs. Call our office at (718) 278-1123 or contact us online anytime.