Prevention and Treatment of Bad Breath
Bad breath (halitosis) is something most people have experienced at some point in their lives. Most commonly bad breath is the result of the foods we eat or of an illness and goes away quickly. For others, bad breath is a daily occurrence, making it difficult for some people to engage in social and professional relationships for fear of offending people with their breath. No-one wants to be known as a person with bad breath. Bad breath can affect personal relationships, professional relationships, self-esteem, and self-confidence. Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent bad breath from occurring in the first place. There are also many treatment options for our patients already experiencing bad breath. Our Queens cosmetic dentist will provide a full dental examination in order to determine the cause and treatment of your bad breath.
Bad Breath Causes
In order to prevent or treat bad breath, it is important to understand what causes bad breath. Bad breath can be a symptom of a more serious medical or dental problem. To ensure your continued health and overall well-being, it is important to determine the cause of your bad breath. There are many possible causes, including:
- Diet: certain foods cause bad breath
- Tobacco use: smoking and chewing tobacco cause bad breath and contribute to tooth decay and gum disease (which also cause bad breath)
- Dry mouth
- Medical conditions cause bad breath: GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), heartburn, diabetes, strep throat, etc.
- Certain medications can cause bad breath: antihistamines, antidepressants, high blood pressure medications, etc.
- Dentures: dentures can cause bad breath if not cleaned properly or worn too long
- Bad oral hygiene: failing to brush, not brushing your teeth thoroughly, and not flossing at all or enough
- Gum disease: bad breath is often a symptom of gum disease
Bad Breath Prevention
The first step to preventing bad breath is good oral hygiene. It is important to adopt good dental habits to prevent bad breath and to maintain your dental health:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing your teeth at least once a day
- Receiving regular dental check-ups and professional cleanings
- Eating a healthy diet
- Not using any tobacco products
- Eliminating stinky foods from your diet or eating them in moderation (examples: garlic, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts)
- For denture wearers, it is important to clean your dentures every night and before wearing them
Bad Breath Treatments
The cause of bad breath determines the treatment. Some patients may benefit from a special mouth wash designed to kill bacteria that causes bad breath, while many patients are able to eliminate bad breath just by changing their diet and improving their oral hygiene. If we determine that a medical condition or medication is causing your bad breath, we will happily work with your primary care doctor to find a solution.
Unfortunately, many of our patients with bad breath actually suffer from gum disease. In the case that gum disease is causing your bad breath, it is important to seek immediate treatment. Gum disease can cause irreversible damage to the gums and teeth, which can lead to tooth loss. Some possible treatments include scaling and root planing, porcelain crowns, and dental implants. Our Manhattan sedation dentistry practice provides our patients with a way to be completely relaxed while undergoing dental treatments. Sedation dentistry is often an ideal solution for our patients who feel anxious at the thought of undergoing dental treatments.
Contact Astoria Dental Group Today
To learn more about the causes and treatments of bad breath and how to prevent it altogether, please contact Astoria Dental Group today.